Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abe dies in road crash
ArrayAbe dies in road crash

Former Moto GP and World Superbike star Norick Abe has been killed in a road accident in Tokyo aged 32.

Abe, who spent ten years in Grand Prix racing's premier class, was out riding his motorcycle when the fatal accident occurred.
Local police said that he was making a u-turn on a busy street when a truck hit him. He was rushed to hospital where he died later on.
His death has left the Moto GP fraternity, most of whom last saw him at Motegi two weeks ago, in a state of shock.

Yamaha, with whom he spent his entire Grand Prix and Superbike career, were quick to pay tribute.
"I am deeply saddened to hear the tragic news," said company president Takashi Kajikawa. "Loved by fans in Japan, Europe and the Americas, and throughout Asia, Abe was an irreplaceable ambassador of motorsport worldwide.
"We pray his soul rests in piece and we send our deepest condolences to his family and loved ones."
Turning to road racing in his homeland aged just 15, Norifumi Abe, to give him his real name found instant success, finishing as runner up in his domestic 250cc championship in 1992 and then winning the 500cc title a year later, becoming the youngest rider to do so.

His success earned him a wildcard entry in the 1994 Japanese 500cc Grand Prix on a factory Yamaha, and he stunned the world by leading most of the race, only to crash on the final lap while battling with Mick Doohan and Kevin Schwantz for victory.

He had done enough though for Kenny Roberts to offer him a full-time ride with his Yamaha team for the following year and, after an impressive debut season, he became a hero in his homeland by becoming the first Japanese winner of his home Grand Prix at Suzuka in 1996.
That was his best season overall as he added three more podium finishes on his way to fifth in the championship.

Following a solid couple of years with Wayne Rainey's Yamaha team, two more victories followed after switching to the d'Antin squad.
The victories in Brazil in 1999 and again at Suzuka in 2000 were the high-points of his career, and his form waned as the 500cc class was replaced by Moto GP machines.

Such was his sterling work for Yamaha though, that the manufacturer offered him a ride with the Ipone team in World Superbikes for 2005.
He spent two years in the championship, taking a best finish of fourth place at Brno in his maiden year, but switched back to his domestic Superbike series this year, and was holding third place overall at the time of his death.

He was also less than a season into running his own squad in Japanese 125s, predicatbly for Yamaha's most talented youngsters.
Norick Abe's Moto GP vital statistics
Years: 1994 - 2004
Starts: 144
Wins: 3 (Japan 1996, 2000, Brazil 1999)
Podiums: 17
Poles: 0[/quote]
[Image: sig.png]
Sayonara Norifumi... :sad:
[Image: assinaturacj7.jpg]
[Image: f52ki0.jpg]
R.I.P.:sad:

Coitado do Norifumi, lembro-me de ver a primeira corrida que quase ganhou. Foi uma morte inglória.
[Image: celeritas_sig.png]
É assim a vida. RIP
"A primeira lei da natureza é a tolerância - já que temos todos uma porção de erros e fraquezas."
GhostSpeed.net
rFactor 3d Scenes!
ArrayWe pray his soul rests in piece[/quote]
Mas quem é que escreve estas coisas? Afinal não são só os jornalistas portugueses a encalhar na gramática...

Anyway... R.I.P. Abe
[Image: 23124423.jpg]
[Image: 37074921.jpg]
RIP Norick...
[Image: mclarensj5.jpg]
R.I.P
R.I.P Abe :sad:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Park dies in Rally GB crash RJC_pt 21 7.508 23-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Last Post: JRodrigues